This body of research draws on the multilevel perspective on socio-technical transitions, which has been widely adopted by the technologic innovation community, to explain how one dominant type of technology is replaced with another dominant technology. In collaboration with Philip Vergragt I explored small-scale multistakeholder experiments with new technologies as the platforms for higher order learning and for fostering systemic change.We specifically focused on technological innovations in personal mobility, high performance building construction and retrofitting the existing housing stock to higher energy performance.
Related articles and book chapters
- Vergragt, P.J. and Halina Brown, 2012. The challenge of energy retrofitting the residential housing stock: grassroots innovations and socio-technical system change in Worcester, MA, Technology Analysis & Strategic Management 24 (4): 407–420.
- Brown, H.S. and P. J. Vergragt. 2008. Bounded Socio-Technical Experiments as Agents of Systemic Change: The Case of a zero-Energy Residential Building. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 75: 107-130.
- Vergragt, P.J. and H.S. Brown. 2008. Genetic Engineering in Agriculture: New Approaches to Generating Societal Consensus. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 75: 783-798.
- Vergragt, P., and Brown, H.S., Sustainable Mobility: From Technological Innovations to Societal Learning. Journal of Cleaner Production 2007, 15: 1104-1115.
- Brown, H.S. and Philip J. Vergragt, 2012. “Grassroots Innovations and Socio-Technical System Change: Energy Retrofitting of the Residential Housing Stock”. In: G. Marletto (ed.) Creating a Sustainable Economy. An Institutional/ Evolutionary Approach to Environmental Policy. Routledge: Routledge Studies in Ecological Economics. (2012).
- Brown, Halina s. And Philip Vergragt 2011. “An innovative approach to designing a zero-energy residential building in Boston: enhancing and monitoring learning.” In: Lahlou, Saadi Case Studies in Sustainable Consumption and Production: Energy Use and the Built Environment. System Innovation for Sustainability Series, Volume 4. Aizlewood’s Mill: Greenleaf Publishing, Pages 27-52.
- Vergragt, P.J. and H.S. Brown. 2010. “Genetic Engineering in Agriculture: The Role of Small Scale Experimentation and Standardized Sustainability Reporting for Risk Management and Policy Development”. In: Michael Baram Ed. Safety in Applying Genetic Engineering in Agriculture. Springer.
- Brown, H.S. and C. Carbone, Learning through Technological Innovation in Personal Mobility: The Cases of Gismo and Sparrow. In Nieuwenhuis, P., ed. The Business of Sustainable Mobility: From Vision to Reality. Greenleaf Publishing, 2006 (pp. 112-124).
- Brown, H.S. and C. Carbone, Technological Innovation in Personal Mobility as Vehicles for Social Learning. Greener Management International. July 2006: 77-88.
- Brown, H.S. and Vergragt, P. “System Innovation through Experiments in Individual Mobility”. In: Elzen, B., Geels, F. and Green, K. System Innovation and the Transition to Sustainability: Theory, Evidence and Policy. Edward Elgar. 2005: pp.191-222.