White Privilege

White Privilege 

When I was in the life there was a saying pimp would say. They used to say stupid shit. This was really disgusting. I don’t even want to say it. Saying things like, “ I rather see ten black bitches die than see a white girl cry.” They said things like that because white girls made more money. It was no secret that I made more money than my best friend (who was not white), so a lot of times, cause we were such good friends, we would say, “do you want the salt and pepper team?” You know? Play it up like that cause she was my friend. I kept her close to me. I knew it was usually me stopping the car but she was fast walker and a fast talker. She was fast with her hands. She was better at picking pockets. Those were her survival skills. She probably brought just as much as I did home and she had more challenges. Where I could just go and flat back (which is just legitimately doing it on my back), she could not cause I got more money.

We didn’t have to say these things before we went in. We didn’t have to say, “you be the decoy and I’m gonna do it.” Society almost says that to us. We already knew, if the other person black was gonna, they would send the store clerk or security on a wild goose chase while I could “play my color.” I could go in and not be watched.
We didn’t have to practice that. Society already told us that. We already knew that. It was almost something you just know. When you’re in that life, you just know.
My pimp even made me dye my hair blonde.