Undergrad Students

Every semester Abbie Goldberg has approximately 8 undergraduate research assistants working in the lab. To be considered for a research assistant position in the lab, students must have at least a 3.0 GPA, be able to make at least a one-year commitment, and show a strong interest in research related to adoption, sexual orientation, gender, parenthood, and/or diverse families more generally. Most undergraduate students who work in the lab choose to work in the lab for more than a year. Thus, students should ideally apply for a research assistant position in their sophomore or junior years. Undergraduate students who are interested in applying for a research assistant position should use this online form.

Senior and lab member Stephanee Germaine presenting her capstone project at Academic Spree Day, 2012


Undergraduate students who worked in Dr. Goldberg’s lab have gone on to pursue graduate work in social work, counseling psychology, and clinical psychology. Students have also obtained employment in social service agencies, adoption agencies, university settings, and medical schools.

“Entering in as a freshman, I knew that I wanted to make a difference, whatever that difference may be. My experiences in the lab  over the past four years proved to me that I do have the drive and the skills to make an impact on this world when I leave Clark.” — Clark University graduate

“It was because of what I learned about adoption and adoptive couples’ experiences with adoption in the Diverse Families Lab that I decided to pursue a career working in the adoption field. I recently started working at a social service agency as an adoption social worker. I primarily work with people adopting children from the foster care system. I also assist with international and private adoptions.  I am really enjoying the work I am doing. I really appreciate being a part of a lab that allowed me to get to this point.” — Clark University graduate