Developmental Science: Theory and Practice
Developmental and learning scientists have conducted a lot of research helping higher education leadership to design environments where learning can flourish. Why is it that so little of this work gets into the hands of users. In these articles, Budwig and Alexander explore challenges of conducting transdisciplinary work in developmental inquiry.
- A Transdisciplinary Approach to Student Learning and Development in University Settings in Frontiers, 2020
- Conceptual Frameworks and Transdisciplinary Challenges to appear in Human Development, 2021
Linking Theory and Research in the Learning and Developmental Sciences to Higher Education
Theory and research from the learning and developmental sciences can help us reinvigorate liberal education. We need to more explicitly tie the framing and assessment of liberal education to research in the learning and developmental sciences. This body of work begins to forge such linkages.
- ‘Facilitating Campus Leadership for Integrative Liberal Learning’ in PeerReview
- ‘The Learning Sciences and Liberal Education’ in Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning
- ‘Concepts and tools from the learning sciences for linking research, teaching and practice around sustainability issues’ in Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability
Knowledge and Practice
How do new conceptions of knowledge and practice within the human and learning sciences impact the organization of the modern university? Here I make the argument that interest in use-inspired research, interdisciplinary studies, and practice-based learning are all part of a broader shift in the conceptualization of knowledge and practice in the academy.
The Interdisciplinary Study of Human Development
Often scholarship in the area of human development is carried out in solos. Considering cognitive, social and language development holistically adds richness to our understanding. This body of work aims to illustrate the value of studying human development holistically and across disciplinary areas.
- Budwig (in press, 2021). The Dynamics of Agency and Context in Human Development.
- Selected Older Publications
Language Development and Language Socialization
How does language develop and simultaneously become a major tool for cultural learning?