The Forum for theoretical, empirical, & methodological work on narrative
Narrative Inquiry is devoted to providing a forum for theoretical, empirical, and methodological work on narrative. Articles appearing in Narrative Inquiry draw upon a variety of approaches and methodologies in the study of narrative as a way to give contour to experience and life, conceptualize and preserve memories, or hand down experience, tradition, and values to future generations. Particular emphasis is placed on theoretical approaches to narrative and the analysis of narratives in human interaction, including those practiced by researchers in psychology, linguistics, anthropology, sociology, and related disciplines.
To Submit a Manuscript for Publication, please use the following guidelines:
- Narrative Inquiry publishes exclusively in English.
- Authors should submit their article online via Editorial Manager. The manuscript should be double-spaced (12pt), prepared according to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th edition), and in Microsoft Word format (.doc). The manuscript should further include an abstract (with up to six keywords), a covering letter stating the format of the contribution (e.g., article, commentary or book review), and the preference whether the author prefers the manuscript to be reviewed anonymously or openly.
- The journal publishes target articles along with invited commentaries, articles, research notes, un-solicited commentaries, review articles, book reviews and occasional announcements. Articles should preferably not exceed 7000 words (incl. endnotes and references). Notes and commentaries should not exceed 2000 words.
- Upon acceptance the author will be requested to send the final version in electronic form accompanied by one hard copy of the text.
- FIGURES and TABLES should be numbered, with appropriate captions, and be placed following the reference section. Reference to any Figures and Tables should be made in the text and their desired position should be indicated on the hard copy.
- QUOTATIONS should be given in double quotation marks. Quotations longer than 4 lines should be indented with one line space above and below the indented passage.
- FOOTNOTES should be kept to a minimum; be numbered consecutively throughout the text; and follow the main text in a section ‘Notes’, starting on a new page. The notes should not contain reference material if this can be absorbed in the text and References section.
- To facilitate quick review of manuscripts, authors should submit a list of three possible reviewers. The addresses and telephone numbers of potential reviewers should be included. All submissions are screened first by the editors for an initial acceptance decision. Those papers considered to fit the scope of the journal are further reviewed by three independent reviewers. Submitted manuscripts will not be returned to the authors if rejected. If the manuscript is accepted, substantive commentaries upon the paper may be published simultaneously.
- Manuscripts are received by the explicit understanding that they are original pieces of work and not under simultaneous consideration by any other publication. Submission of an article for publication implies the transfer of the copyright from the author to publisher upon acceptance. Accepted papers may not be reproduced by any means, in whole or in part, without the written consent of the publisher. It is the author’s responsibility to obtain permission to reproduce illustrations, tables, etc. from other publications.
- Authors will receive electronic proofs sent per email for final corrections. These must be returned to the editor by the dates determined by the publication schedule. Authors receive one copy of the journal upon publication.
- Please submit articles online via Editorial Manager. For editorial correspondence, please email: narrinquiryclarku.edu, or to contact the Editor directly, please e-mail: Mbamberg@clarku.edu.
Narrative Inquiry is the continuation of the Journal of Narrative and Life History (1990-1997) Vol 1-7.